phrases, sayings, idioms and expressions at

Home | Search the website Search | Discussion Forum Home|

Soda , pop, soft drink

Posted by ESC on March 19, 2003

In Reply to: Soda and pop posted by TheFallen on March 19, 2003

: : : : A soda in the US is called a pop in Canada. What is it called in the UK? Thanks.

: : : Supplementary information: In parts of the US (not my part) it's called pop, not soda.
: : in some areas soda is also called tonic.

: Here in the UK, we'd be most likely to refer to it as a fizzy drink. Soda we reserve exclusively to refer to unflavoured carbonated water (which I think transatlantically is better known as club soda) as in whisky and soda. The word pop, although it would probably be understood, has fallen into disuse. Tonic we also have, but again over here that refers specifically to (Indian) tonic water, the mixer you'd add to gin.

: Incidentally, why is ginger beer - a very different think from ginger ale - apparently entirely unavailable in the US?

Another term in the U.S. is "soft drink" for soda. I can't remember what we called it in West Virginia -- "pop" maybe. It seems to me that here in central Kentucky most people just say, "I'm getting a 'drink.'" Or they say "I'm getting a coke" whether it's an actual Coke product or not.

The DARE project (Dictionary of American Regional Speech) has a questionnaire that asks people what they call various things. But I don't think they've published the "S" section yet.