phrases, sayings, idioms and expressions at

Home | Search the website Search | Discussion Forum Home|

Grease paper to cover windows?

Posted by Word Camel on June 10, 2004

In Reply to: Grease paper posted by Lewis on June 10, 2004

: : : : : Is grease paper the same thing as greaseproof paper?

: : : : I'm afraid I don't know that. All I know about is "waxed paper."

: : : I found "greasepaper" used in more US originating sites and "Greaseproof paper" used in many sites from the UK,AU and CN.

: : : In the Brooklyn, NY area we always said greasepaper.
: : : Seems, but I am not 100% sure, that they are one and the same.

: : : Anuone else can give us the wholenine on this one?

: : I'd be glad to know the skinny on this one. All OED will say is that in 1895 the Montgomery Ward catalogue offered "Waxed Butter Paper," which it said was grease-proof, and that other people continue to talk about grease-proof paper at least until 1940. I think I remember that it was NOT the waxed paper familiar today, but was more like butcher paper. I suspect it might have been replaced in most households by the kind of waxed paper currently being sold, which itself is largely being replaced by plastic film. SS

: grease-proof paper is wrapping that can be used around something that is oily/fatty. another quality of GPP is that it does not stick to the thing it is wrapping. paper to wrap butter - the "butter paper" referred to could be called 'grease-proof' as it is impregnated with way which prevents grease going through the wrapping.
: GPP is also used in baking to prevent the mixture sticking to surfaces.
: I guess GPP can be shortened to GP.

I will have to consult my "Little House on the Prairie, but I seem to recall that the pioneers used greased paper to cover windows when they didn't have or couldn't afford glass. My guess is the paper was translucent enough to let in light and the grease made it repel water so that it didn't just disintegrate. I'm not sure my books are here so if anyone else has them, they might want to check. Perhaps that's an alternative.