Fissle or fistle

Posted by Steph Phillips on May 01, 2003

Does anyone know the origin of the word fissle, or fistle? My family use it and reckon it's a local Gloucestershire word, but I can't find any trace of it on the web.

It basically means 'not sitting still' or shifting around in your seat/bed, I suppose having ants in your pants would be another similar phrase. It's usually said as 'stop fissling around' or 'fissling about'.

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who knows where this phrase came from - thanks.