The origin of Football Terms

Posted by Henry on April 23, 2003

In Reply to: The origin of Football Terms posted by Kris Hans on April 22, 2003

: I was wondering where the terms quarterback, fullback, and halfback cam from. Also where did the term punt come from?

In rugby, the players are forwards, halves, three-quarters or full backs.

The names come from their positions. The forwards make up the scrum. The scrum half and fly half play behind the forwards. The three-quarters play behind the halves and the full back plays behind them all.