phrases, sayings, idioms and expressions at

Piece, bunch, pair,

Posted by Janes_kid on April 02, 2003

In Reply to: Piece, bunch, pair, posted by AA on April 02, 2003

: : : Is there a special term for words such as a PIECE of cloth, a BUNCH of flowers, a PAIR of chopsticks? I don't think it is "quantifier" but I am dying to find out what they are called. Please help. Thanks.

: : Collective noun?

: I think collective noun means words such as machinery for machine, poetry for poem, etc.

Some people are fascinated with collecting such words as related to fauna e.g. gaggle, covey, herd, flock etc. The name they use for the terms in their collections might also be applicable to piece, pair, etc. I do not know how to find any of these lists because I do not know what they call them either.