Nautical Term

Posted by Nicholas Moore on February 18, 2002

Monday, February 18, 2002

Hi -

Can somebody help me with the nautical term: "beat over the transom". An individual used it in the context of delivering my resume to a third party.
Applying my liberal arts degree, I would imagine that the individual was assuring me that my resume will not get lost, but rather that it will be delivered to the intended person.

My guess on the derivation -- that when a ship is "beating" downwind, the spars or booms are noticeably over the transom as compared to a short-hauled trim tack, when the spar/booms are aligned with the length of the ship.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nicholas Moore,
4L Evening,
Temple Law