phrases, sayings, idioms and expressions at

Facebook  Twitter

Crash at your pad

Posted by Bruce Kahl on December 05, 2001

In Reply to: Cockney Rhyming sland X 2 posted by Gary on December 05, 2001

: : Does anyone know the origin of the Cockney term "Drum" as in "Im going back to my drum", flat or house. In addition to this, I d also like to know where the Hippy slang Pad came from. This also means flat or house.

: Drum isn't rhyming slang. It originates from the 18th century name for a riotous party at a private house - the name relating to the noisiness. The party at the house and the house itself later became synonymous.

: Don't know about pad, although it is pre-hippy. Beatniks used it commonly in the 1950s. In William Brohaugh's English Through the Ages he lists it as meaning 'bed or residence' by 1720.

: Gary

I see a pad as a mat or cushion which can be rolled up in the morning and unrolled in the evening so you can use it to "crash" at your "pad".

Comment Form is loading comments...