Posted by Capable wingnut on November 19, 2001

In Reply to: Boffin posted by Marian on November 19, 2001

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000 says:

Chiefly British Slang A scientist, especially one engaged in research.

The Best of British

The American's guide to speaking British says:

Boffin - This is the word for a nerd. Usually male, a boffin would be highly intelligent, have no dress sense and probably grow up to be a mad scientist or an HTML programmer!

and I also found an appalling limerick:

There once was an eccentric old boffin,
Who remarked, in a fine fit of coughing:
'It isn't the cough
That carries you off,
But the coffin they carries you off in.'