phrases, sayings, idioms and expressions at

Home | Search the website Search | Discussion Forum Home|

British universities

Posted by ESC on November 11, 2003

In Reply to: To read a subject at university posted by Fred on November 11, 2003

: :
: : What does

: : "to read a subject at university"

: : exactly mean?

: : Does it mean: "to study" or "to teach a subject as a lecturer" or both?

: : thanx very much for "reading"

: : ciaoooo
: : Milena

: to study

At most American universities, students are expected to come to class, take notes and then be tested. From movies, etc., I get the idea that at British universities students study independently, "read," under the guidance of a tutor and then are tested. Is that correct?