phrases, sayings, idioms and expressions at

Words within words

Posted by Baceseras on December 19, 2007

In Reply to: Words within words posted by ESC on December 18, 2007

: : : : What is it called when you use a word in a word, i.e. You are "Sand"sational?

: : : Not very punny?

: : : L

: : Some other possiblities are portmanteau, blend, and compound.

: Sandwich words are when the word is inserted in the middle. Fan(flipping)tastic.

The recent fad for capitalizing one of the internal letters of a name (eBooks, iPod, etc.) has been called an "embedded capital"; and so, I suppose, these things could similarly be called embedded words.