phrases, sayings, idioms and expressions at

Home | Search the website Search | Discussion Forum Home|


Posted by MaryLee on December 20, 2005

Does anyone know the correct word/spelling for "hand-me-down" clothing? My mother-in-law calls them "shelorums" but she's not sure of the spelling. I can't find the word (have tried various spellings) in any dictionary. Am interested in the etymology. She seems to think it might be of Yiddish origin since her Irish grandmother lived in/near a Yiddish neighborhood.
Any help/ideas would be most appreciated :-)
--MaryLee in Phx.