Posted by ESC on May 16, 2003

What is a "lounge" house-wise? I've been watching BBC America - in particular "Changing Rooms" and "House Invaders."

In the U.S. we have living rooms (the parlor) and more casual family rooms/TV room. A lounge is a bar as in "cocktail lounge," "a public room (as in a hotel, club, or restaurant) where cocktails and other drinks are served." (Merriam-Webster).

Second question. The homeowners on the above mentioned decorating shows seem to be familiar with all types of American decorating styles - New England, Southwest, etc. I don't think people in the U.S. would come close to being familiar with British/European styles.

Are the British just more sophisticated and well-traveled compared to us? Or are American television shows and movies more widely seen there than vice-versa? Until recently the only British shows I could get were Masterpiece Theatre series and Ab Fab.