Cowlick or cowslick

Posted by Bruce Kahl on November 30, 1999

In Reply to: Cowlick or cowslick posted by Aaron Price on November 30, 1999

: I have hair collocks(spelling?) and someone from the South called it a Cowslick. Is this where the word came from?

Cowlick \Cow"lick`\ (-l?k`), n.
A tuft of hair turned up or awry (usually over the forehead),
as if licked by a cow.

Main Entry: cowlick
Pronunciation: 'kau-"lik
Function: noun
Date: 1598
: a lock or tuft of hair growing in a different direction from the rest of the hair