Posted by James Briggs on March 08, 2005

In Reply to: Chambers posted by ESC on March 07, 2005

: : I was wondering whether the word "chambers" in 19th century literature refers to a set of rooms that one lived in (a flat actually), or maybe these were rooms that one rented in someone else's house?

: : Many thanks,

: : Ruth

: This guy might know -- How to speak 19th century --

The word is still very much in current UK use for a set of rooms/offices occupied by barristers - lawyers who represent clients in court cases and who wear wigs.