Posted by ESC on November 06, 2001

In Reply to: Protective stone posted by Margaret Ward on November 05, 2001

: Is there a word for the large stones which were placed in front of vulnerable walls to protect them from damage by passing vehicles (originally horse-drawn)? You can see them in archways or against corners of buildings.

Haven't found it yet. But while we're on the subject, here are some of the entries under "stone" in one reference:

Top stone of structure or wall -- capstone.
Lintel stone on top of column to support arch -- summer.
Stone on which column or statue rests -- plinth.
From "The Writer's Digest Flip Dictionary: for when you know what you want to say but can't think of the word" by Barbara Ann Kipfer, Ph.D., (Writer's Digest Books, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2000)