phrases, sayings, idioms and expressions at


Posted by ESC on February 26, 2004

In Reply to: Leave....? posted by Didi on February 26, 2004

: Hello,
: How do you say it in English when you want to take a leave of absence while you're working? Could you tell me a few phrases related to that? By the way, If I need to leave for a while during work ,I need to apply and sign something on the paper? How do you call that paper? Can I use "leave note", "leave slip", or "leave chit"? What is the process of taking leave in your country? Thank you for your help. Have a good day.
: (Dr Grammar will be with you shortly.)

: Back to Dr Grammar main page

I am in the U.S. The process on my job is the following. If I want to take a vacation day, I fill out a leave slip and get my supervisor to sign it. If the leave is unexpected (sick leave, for example) I call in and let my supervisor know I'm going to be off and then fill out a leave slip when I get back to work.

People take "time off," "vacation days," "personal days," and "sick days." At my job another term for vacation is "annual leave."

There is another word for a longer leave of absence: sabbatical. Its origin is (from Merriam-Webster online):

Main Entry: sabbatical year
Function: noun
1 often capitalized S : a year of rest for the land observed every seventh year in ancient Judea
2 : a leave often with pay granted usually every seventh year (as to a college professor) for rest, travel, or research -- called also sabbatical leave.