phrases, sayings, idioms and expressions at

Home | Search the website Search | Discussion Forum Home|


Posted by Kitty on March 24, 2003

In Reply to: Green-eyeshaders posted by Lewis on March 24, 2003

: : : To what does the term "green-eyeshaders" refer?

: : : Thanks in advance for any information.

: : It refers to headgear. I couldn't find the term in my references. There are two groups that used to wear green eyeshades to filter out harsh office light, reporters and accountants.

: tradition would be - reporters, editors, printers - but also bookmakers and croupiers.
: probably some more.

In this case I believe it would be accountants (I am guessing that S. found the term in Slate's recent Medical Examiner column, "Outbreak".