Posted by TheFallen on August 14, 2002

In Reply to: Confused posted by Gary on August 14, 2002

: : : : : : I've been asked about this phrase, which I've not come across before:

: : : : : : "There are two kind of guys, stiffs and Georges."

: : : : : : Question is, who or what are the Georges?

: : : : : I think you'll find that Georges are "George IIIs". At which point the phrase takes on a whole new meaning.

: : : :
: : : : That sounds plausible. Is that just a guess or have you come across the phrase before?

: : :
: : : I've come across it a few times here in West London - not the natural home of the cockney - and dismissed it as another example of instant rhyming slang invented to impress and destined for a early death.

: : This phrase confuses me. I've heard both a "george" and also a "richard" occasionally used as rhyming slang in the way that Barney highlights. However, the expression "There are two kind of guys, stiffs and Georges" to me sounds American, with its usage of both "guy" and "stiff", and if it is of US origin, then the rhyming slang explanation doesn't stand up. I'm also not even sure what is meant by "stiff" in this case, and would welcome any clarifications. Where did you come across it, Gary?

: A researcher for the US TV programme CSI asked me about it.

On the basis that it was a presumed British phrase?