Posted by R. Berg on May 06, 2002

In Reply to: mudroom posted by ESC on May 06, 2002

: : : : : There seem to be a number of Americans contributing to this forum (I'm English). I wonder if one of you helpful people can tell me if the word "mudroom" is a normal American word, and what it means. It appears in the novel I'm currently reading (Some Things That Stay by Sarah Willis) and as far as I can make out it is a room off the kitchen where you might take your muddy boots off - in which case the nearest word we have might be "utility room". But it's not in any dictionary I've looked in so I wonder how much of a current word it is.

: : : : : Armorel

: : : : Yes, it's a common word. I believe it's a modern term. Mudroom means a room where people take off their muddy boots, hang up coats, put school books, etc., on a shelf.

: : : I couldn't find "mudroom" in my references. It's a middle class/upper middle class type of thing. Poor folks just have to put up with mud being tracked in the house.

: : You couldn't find "mudroom" in your references!?

: : Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary gives:

: : Main Entry: mud·room
: : Pronunciation: 'm&d-"rüm, -"rum
: : Function: noun
: : Date: circa 1950
: : : a room in a house designed especially for the shedding of dirty or wet footwear and clothing and located typically off the kitchen or in the basement

: : The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language (Fourth Edition) defines "mudroom" as "A small room or entryway in a house where wet or muddy footwear and clothing can be removed."

: : See also LivingHome at
: : news/remodeling/195-15.html

: I never thought of looking in the dictionary.

I did, and Amer. Heritage, 1969 ed., didn't have it.