Posted by Dave on November 20, 2001

In Reply to: boffin posted by capable wingnut on November 19, 2001

: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000 says:

: Chiefly British Slang A scientist, especially one engaged in research.

: The Best of British

: The American's guide to speaking British says:

: Boffin - This is the word for a nerd. Usually male, a boffin would be highly intelligent, have no dress sense and probably grow up to be a mad scientist or an HTML programmer!

: and I also found an appalling limerick:

: There once was an eccentric old boffin,
: Who remarked, in a fine fit of coughing:
: 'It isn't the cough
: That carries you off,
: But the coffin they carries you off in.'

Is that the same as a "dufus"?