"What's the giddas?"

Posted by Patty O'Dawes on October 27, 2001

In Reply to: "What's the giddas?" posted by R. Berg on October 26, 2001

: : When I was growing up in Des Moines, this was a popular phrase among us kids. It something you say when you join a group of people and want to know what going on and that you want to get in on it. I have no idea of the spelling. I have never heard this anywhere since.
: : Some of us, my self included, also put that extra "r" in words like warshing machine and George Warshington. What's up with that?

: For "giddas" you might try the Dictionary of American Regional English (DARE) site (link below and URL here):
: polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/ dare/dare.html

: From one regional variety of spoken English to another, R's appear and vanish like anything. My father came from (rural) Iowa, and he didn't say "warsh."

R's feature strongly in English regional language differences too. The 'hard' and 'soft' R is spoken in the north and the south respectively. In the south people have 'barths': in the north its 'bath', with the hard A as in man.

Stranger still, near to the town of Bath there's Bristol. People there have the habit of adding L to the end of words. I've heard that the place used to be called Bristo, although I can't find any confirmation of that. They do call the stuff that is used to veneer kitchen worktops formichaeal though which is rather nice.