"Thanks for the bump"

Posted by ESC on October 01, 2001

In Reply to: "Thanks for the bump" posted by Bob on September 30, 2001

: : : Recently, I read an exchange on a forum in which someone wrote to another "thanks for the bump". Now I know I should be more up to date on current lingo, and I know I've heard the term before, but what exactly does a "bump" mean in this usage? Thanks. -Patty

: : Yes, I have seen that also on other boards and forums.

: : Unlike this forum where a posting stays where it is and people just add to it, there are other forum software packages which, when someone responds to a posting, moves or "bumps" the posting and the reply to the top of the page.

: : So a subject or query which becomes inactive can be brought back to life by someone posting to it.

: : When this occurs the original poster will respond by saying "Thanx for the bump".

: Every once in a while I'm foolishly tempted to think the other format is better, because it brings your attention to the newest posts... but ... then I imagine those dreary Whole Nine Yards postings coming back again and again to the top, and I'm gratelful we have this format which allows them to sink slowly southward without a grave, unknelled, uncoffined, and un-bumped.

But it would be nice to be able to edit one's own posts.