Posted by Bob on August 26, 2005
In Reply to: Re: Pigeon holed posted by David FG on August 26, 2005
: : Where did the term "pigeon holed" come from?
: The devices used to allocate post/mail to individuals in a company or whatever are (or were) like little open-fronted boxes (an individual or group of individuals would have a box each) which were supposed to resemble the nesting spaces in a pigeon coop.
As you can see fromt the dictionary definition, it is one word rather than two:
pi·geon·hole P Pronunciation Key (pjn-hl)
1. A small compartment or recess, as in a desk, for holding papers; a cubbyhole.
2. A specific, often oversimplified category.
3. The small hole or holes in a pigeon loft for nesting.
tr.v. pi·geon·holed, pi·geon·hol·ing, pi·geon·holes
1. To place or file in a small compartment or recess.
2. To classify mentally; categorize.
3. To put aside and ignore; shelve.