Posted by Bob on June 30, 2005
In Reply to: Simply beggars belief posted by Manjit on June 30, 2005
: Hi All,
: Could anyone pls let me know the meaninig of the phrase "simply beggars belief".
"Beggars" in this case is a transitive verb here, not the more familiar plural noun. From dictionary.com:
1. One who solicits alms for a living.
2. An impoverished person; a pauper.
3. Informal. A man or a boy.
tr.v. beg·gared, beg·gar·ing, beg·gars
1. To make a beggar of; impoverish.
2. To exceed the limits, resources, or capabilities of: beauty that beggars description.
It's that second definition of the verb that you want.