phrases, sayings, idioms and expressions at

Home | Search the website Search | Discussion Forum Home|

Under my feet

Posted by Henry on August 20, 2003

In Reply to: Re: Gooseberry posted by English Learner on August 20, 2003

: : : : : Hello,
: : : : : How do you say it in English when you try to describe someone who always follow you wherever you go in an annoying way? Could you give me some examples? Thank you very much.

: : : : An malicious follower might be a stalker.
: : : : An unwanted boyfriend might follow you like a puppy.
: : : : The follower might be attracted to you like a moth to a light or a flame.

: : : a "hanger-on" might follow a person
: : : a "fifth wheel" might follow a group
: : : a "pest" is a persistent annoyance
: : : a "tag-along" is an uninvited companion

: : He might be an unwanted chaperon.
: : A third person accompanying a couple is called a "gooseberry".

: Thank you for your help. I'd especially want to know what you call a child when s/he follows her/his parents behind their heels (step by step)? Thank you again.

An older person might be a shadow.
An obedient dog might follow at their heels, while an aggressive dog might snap at their heels.
A younger child still crawling might be called a rug-rat.
I'm sorry, but I can't think of a term for the child. However, the child keeps getting under their feet, I'm sure.